Types of Dementia
Dementia is not always caused by Alzheimer's disease. The Alzheimer's Society has produced an excellent range of factsheets about diseases and conditions that can cause dementia. To read these factsheets, please select from the following list:
- What is Alzheimer's disease?
- What is vascular dementia?
- What is dementia with Lewy bodies (DLB)?
- What is fronto-temporal dementia (including Pick's disease)?
- What is Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD)?
- Learning disabilities and dementia
- What is Korsakoff's syndrome?
- What is Aids-related cognitive impairment?
- Rarer causes of dementia
Is a Diagnosis Important?
Different types of dementia have different treatments. Also, some people may experience dementia like symptoms caused by other conditions, such as thyroid problems, vitamin deficiency, or even depression. It is crucial to get the right treatment, at the right time, so getting a diagnosis is very important.